I got a call today from the surgeons office. Grace’s new surgery date is Wednesday, March 17. We need to check her into the hospital at 9:00 am on Tuesday, March 16.
I guess sooner is better than later but I was really hoping she would have a little more time to get over her cold. Her cough is pretty much gone but she still has a snotty nose. We have been checking her heart rate regularly and it’s right at 80 beats per minute.
On Tuesday night she will be in the step-down unit until she goes into surgery. Only one parent is allowed to stay with her. Neither one of us want to be too far away from the hospital so we got put onto the waiting list for temporary housing. (Ronald McDonald House or The Family House) Also, once she is in the PCICU they won’t let either one of us stay the night in the room with her. I have been told that you can get a bed at the hospital but I have never done this before but my understanding is that the beds are very limited and you have to reserve it daily at a certain time. I also hear that they have showers for parents at thee hospital but I have no idea where. I really hope we get something at one the the two temporary houses. We also learned that we can get discounted rates at a few of the local hotels. We might look into staying there. It will be helpful if we have a place away from the hospital to take turns resting while one of us is always with Grace. The good news is that she now knows a lot of the nurses so she might not be too freaked out if she wakes up and for some reason neither one of us are there.
I think the visiting hours are from 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM. NO ONE under 16 is allowed to visit. Not even siblings. Miranda, Coco and AJ are NOT happy about this new rule. Also, if you want to visit make sure you let us know so we can add your name to the list. They won’t allow anyone to visit if your name is not on the list. I am told that this rule is very strict.
The kids will be staying with Dave’s folks for the first few days. But we might need some help if her recovery goes longer than a week. If anyone is available to help out, please give one of us a call.
Thank you all for your love and prayers.
Blessings,
Jackie

3 comments:
Sending you well wishes in advance of her surgery! Hugs!
best of luck to you and your little one. crossing my fingers that all goes well and you find somewhere to stay. Having done my music therapy internship in a pediatric hospital, I know how hard it can be on parents...sometimes harder than on the kiddos.
The age restriction on visitors at UCSF has been lifted as of March 9th. I guess flu season is more or less over. Also, I was able to sleep over in the room with Magnus in the PCICU...nobody ever said anything to me about it not being allowed.
I'd like to bring you some lunch one day during your hospital stay. As you may recall, I work at UCSF, so it's easy for me to stop by, and I know that getting away to find something to eat is a challenge when you're trying to spend every moment by your child's side! And I definitely owe you one for that noisy night on 7 North last week!
Post a Comment