Miranda with on the 5th grade field trip. This one is really popular so a lot of the parents want to go as chaperones. The teacher had a lottery to choose and unfortunately I was not one of the luck ones who was chosen. Although it looked like a lot of hard work and the parents who went were really tired when they got home today so maybe it was a blessing that I didn’t get chosen.
The whole idea of Age of Sail is that the kids go on an 18 hour adventure and journey back to the time of 1906 when San Francisco was hit by a big earthquake and fires. The lumber carriers needed to travel up the coast to Portland, Or. to pick up lumber to rebuild the city. The regular crew had gone ashore to help fight the fires so the Captain needs a new crew. The school children, or lads, arrive at the Hyde Street Pier to sign aboard as the replacement crew. They must prove to the Captain, through the completion of tasks, that they are capable of sailing the Balclutha. The tasks include: reeving a block and tackle, riding a Bosuns chair, rowing a longboat, cooking on a wood burning stove, standing night watch and raising sails.
Once the students or lads board the vessel, it’s hands on education for them. They learn to work together and to problem solve. The adult chaperones or “tall sailers” are only there to observe and are not allowed to talk to the kids and have to obey all of the same rules. No cell phones, iPods, cameras, digital watches or anything else that wasn’t available in 1906.
I had planned to go up to San Francisco and have lunch with Miranda and hang out with her before she boarded the ship but with Grace being in the Hospital I wasn’t able to. My friend Gina, Dannica’s mom, took this photo of Miranda and her friends for me. Thanks Gina.
Miranda was a rigger and was chosen by her group to be the First Mate. She said the work was brutal but she had a blast. I can tell it has really boosted her self confidence. I am so proud of her. Also, she never got word that Gracie’s surgery was re-scheduled so she made it through all of this with the added worry of her little sister’s health. I am so proud of her.
YOU ROCK GIRL!

2 comments:
Jackie and Dave,
What a great experience for Miranda! She's such a cool kid!
I'm praying for Gracie (and all of you)...glad she's got a temp fix for the pacemaker, but wish she didn't have to go through another surgery. I pray that everything goes well every step of the way.
Sounds fun and hard! Great job Miranda!!
Post a Comment