Sunday, March 7, 2010

HERE WE GO AGAIN…

 

About a year or so ago we learned that one of the leads to Gracie’s pacemaker was fractured.  It was the ventricular lead which, in non technical terms, means the not so important lead is broken.  We were told that the atrial lead, the important lead, was working just fine.  I just remember asking “how did it fracture?” and was told there is really no way to know for sure.  I’m know its true that we’ll never know what made it stop, but I felt like, if the not so important lead could just stop working without any warning, how will we know that the good lead won’t just crap out at any moment?

On Friday that frightening possibility became reality.  Going in for her regular cardiology appointment the EKG check showed that her pacemaker was not working.  The good lead crapped out just like I feared it would.  So that puts Grace in an emergency situation.  We also learned that her pressures are up pretty high and the regurgitation from the tricuspid valve has increased. 

Grace will be admitted to UCSF in Monday morning, and will have surgery on Tuesday.  My understanding is that they are going to replace the pacemaker and the leads, but leave the tricuspid valve alone.  But, as those of you who followed Grace before know, the plans can always change when surgery is involved.

I am feeling a little stressed out about this whole thing.  I wish I would have pushed more for the leads to be replaced a year ago when we learned about it.  I wish we didn’t miss her pacemaker check in February and then wait so long to reschedule.  I don’t know if any of that would have made any difference.  At this point it’s neither here nor there.  I am worried that Grace has a cold with a pretty bad cough right now.  It seems like a bad idea to let her go into surgery with a cold, but then again not having a working pacemaker is probably worse.  We have to assume that her pacemaker might not have been working for up to six weeks so her little heart must be getting tired.  The benefit’s of surgery clearly outweigh the risk.  Then again maybe her weak heart is causing her to be sick? 

Grandma and Grandpa will be here later today to help out with the kids.  It is great to know that they are in good hands and we have one less thing to worry about.  Thanks to Chaunie for volunteering if this goes longer than a week.  Thanks to Dee for your offer and if this goes longer than two weeks you’re up :)  Thanks to  Nini and Rhonda and Gina for helping with the kids schedules, I know that will make things much easier for Grandma and Grandpa.  Thanks to everyone for all your prayers, please keep them coming.

Even thought we have been through heart surgery with Grace before, this time will be very different.  Last time she was a newborn baby and didn’t know to be afraid.  This time she will be scared the moment we pull into the parking lot.  I’m not looking forward to this.

We will know more on Monday and I will do my best to keep the blog up to date. 

Please keep our sweet girl in your prayers.

021 

Blessings,

Jackie Truhe

5 comments:

Erin said...

sending lots of positive thougts your way. Hoping all goes well and your little girl has a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Mama Kat said...

oh, Jackie, I am so sorry. Know that we are praying for you.

Diana D said...

whatever you need!!! From the look of your post, you did not sleep last night either! I am sending prayers your way and getting as many as I know to send them too! Love you guys and I'll see you VERY soon!

Suzanne said...

I've got your beautiful princess in my prayers! :-)

Anonymous said...

oh, Jackie, my heart is heavy for you this morning. I will be praying for your sweet Grace and for you to have strength to get through this week. keep us posted, please.

MY LIFE... It's a little messy, a little crafty and it's all good.