A few shots of Grace being silly in the hospital
Grace will be the first surgical case of the day so she will go to the O.R. around 6:30am. She will not be allowed any food after midnight and only clear liquids until 4:00 am. Dr. Azaike said he plans to go in through the side like I mentioned yesterday. He did say that this course of entry will make the surgery more complicated and a tougher recovery than going in through the chest but he believes it is still the best way to go so that we can save the chest from any more scar tissue. That will save the chest entry for later in life when she might really need it.
It was really great to watch the way Dr. Azaike looks at Gracie. He said that he is amazed by her. It is so great how he genuinely cares for her. While he, Nurse Laura and I were reminiscing about her time here at UCSF and what those who went through it refer to as “the day”. Which is the day that we thought we were going to loose our little Gracie. He told me that he feels like he “owns” part of our little girl (not in a snarky way). He also asked Laura to take a picture of Grace with her phone and send it to him. When I told him that Grace takes dance classes, tap and ballet, he asked I would send him a photo of her in her tutu. It is just so refreshing to know that her surgeon really cares about her after she leaves here. I just feel so lucky that Grace has Dr. Azaike as her surgeon.
Grace also got to take a walk to the playroom on the 6th floor today. This was the first time she has ever been able to go there. She got to jump in the balls, paint and play with the doll house. We also got to check out some toys to bring back to her bed. While we were in the play room we got to attend a special music therapy class. Grace really enjoyed the music and dancing and also got to play some of the instruments.
She still tells us “I want to go home” several times during the day but as far as days in the hospital go today wasn’t all that bad. Yesterday was all about Toy Story, today was all about Toy Story 2. Good thing because I happen to love those movies :)
Grace with Nurse Jenny, she was such a big help today when Grace had to get an ultrasound on her neck. She was really hating it but Jenny calmed her right down.
Tonight it’s Dave’s turn to sleep in the room with Grace, so I get the parents sleep area… This is all new to us. Dave did it last night and said it wasn’t too bad. Basically it’s a conference room that gets converted to beds at night. You have to reserve your bed at 3:30 (I think there are only 6 available). There are couches to sleep on and they are sectioned out by curtains. We will see how it goes… I have a hard time falling asleep anywhere so sleeping in a room with strangers will be interesting.

3 comments:
You are doing great, Jackie! Gotta love that parent sleep room...hopefully no one kept you up snoring (had one of THOSE nights there!)
Jackie,
We are thinking about you guys so much, and of course, we are praying. The story about your surgeon wanting a picture of Grace is very touching. He seems like such a wonderful man...and amazing Doctor.
But why wouldn't he want a picture of Grace in her tutu? She's ADORABLE!
We are here for you guys.
Lots of love,
Justin, Victoria, and Moriah
I hope all is well today with Grace. I am guessing that she had the surgery? Thank you for your updates. The photos of Grace are adorable. :)
Post a Comment