Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Make a Wish Vacation Day 1

I know, I know, it's been so long since I have blogged that Gracie's Make A Wish trip seems like old news. I have tried to condense it as much as possible for you.









Dave and I got very little sleep the night before we left. We stayed up late doing some last minute packing and making sure everything was ready for us to be able to wake up and leave in the morning. Ahhhhh... What a nice thought. What we didn't count on was oversleeping, Gracie throwing up on me seconds before getting into the limo and realizing that we forgot her medication after being on the road for 15 minutes! YIKES! It was crazy! In all of the craziness I forgot to take a photo of us in the limo. :( But everything worked out and we made it to the airport on time.






When our limo pulled up in front of the airport we were greeted by a few American Airlines employees. They took care of our luggage and carry on bags. They walked us over to the ticket counter that was decorated just for Grace. There was a line for First Class and Line for Coach and a like for GRACE TRUHE AND FAMILY. It had a red carpet and was lined with balloons and Dora signs welcoming Gracie! AWESOME!




We were quickly taken through security, we got to go right to the front of the line! They were waiting for us and already knew about Grace and her pacemaker. When we got to the other side of security the few AA employees had grown to a full on entourage! They escorted us over to the gate where there were there was a huge party for Grace! It was Amazing!






They gave Grace lots and lots of gifts! She got a new Dora back pack, stickers, some toys for the plane and a portable DVD with lots of Dora videos.





The party also included a cake that was about the size of our kitchen table. Later when we were on board the plane the flight attendants let Miranda and Coco act like junior flight attendants and pass out the cake to the other passengers. They even got to serve the pilots while we the they were flying the plane.




They decorated our seats with the big welcome sign and more Dora signs. They also had balloons but I don't think they thought that one through. They all popped in the high altitude and scared the heck out of everyone.




Best flight crew EVER!

Grace was a little nervous for her first flight but she did great. We had oxygen for her Pulmonary hypertension. She gave us a hard time getting it on her but we were able to hold it near her. She did really well on the flight emotionally and medically.

As the plane was taking off the people who were with us at the gate were on the ground holding this cool banner. Also, the SF Fire Dept. had two engines on both sides of the plane and when the plane took off they shot off water cannons. It was really cool.















5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, that looks like an incredible experience for her!!!! I enjoyed reading about it, and seeing the photos. Thank you for sharing!

Diana D said...

Amazing!! Way to go American Airlines!!

Daniella said...

What a wonderful thing the make a wish foundation does. She had a fabulous trip!! AND so did your whole family!!

I had to read about the whole trip!! Great story and pics!!

Veronica said...

Wow, I'm so glad that Gracie and the rest of your family had such a wonderful time! What an awesome experience for all of you and her story is truly inspirational! Glad to hear her dreams came true and I wish you all health and happiness!

Unknown said...

So cool! What a an awesome thing!

MY LIFE... It's a little messy, a little crafty and it's all good.